[maxgallery name=”1634-1690-pine-street”]Demolition has started on six adjacent buildings on the northwest corner of Pine and Franklin Street. The sites are being prepared for a 13 story two tower complex with 261 condominiums, 201 subterranean parking stalls, and 4,000 sq. feet of ground retail. Since the existing properties had historical significance in both the city’s automobile industry and Japanese Internment, front facades of three of the five demolished buildings will be preserved and permanent onsite exhibits will be installed to inform visitors of the building’s historical past. Owner Oyster Development enlisted Kwan Henmi as architect and builder Build Group as the contractor for the 1634-1690 Pine Street project.
The six properties (1634, 1650 1656,1660,1670 and 1690 Pine Street) are effectively being merged into one large address. Crews are expected to demolish most of the buildings on all the sites but keep front facades on 1670, 1660, and 1634 Pine Street. 1690 Pine Street is a parking lot with no current standing structure.
It is speculated that the building is on a 20 – 24 month project life cycle with completion sometime in late 2016.